29 October 2009

Just switch to Mac, already


We all have computer problems, and that doesn't stop with Mac, but it sure gets easier. I find myself telling one friend after another to switch to Mac. Sometimes the objection is, "but I absolutely have to have Windows for my job" because of some Windows-only application or another.

If that's the case, then you especially should get a Mac. Because face it, sometimes Windows goes south, and when it does, would you rather revert to the Windows machine you had yesterday that was running fine, or would you rather troubleshoot Windows for a week and still not know what's wrong? Would you rather spend two minutes restoring yesterday's virtual machine or two hours driving to a geek squad?

If you don't need Windows apps, then you'll be much happier on a Mac. If you do need Windows apps, you'll still be much happier on a Mac, with Windows running as a virtual machine.

Meanwhile, just because you have one or two essential applications that are Windows only, that doesn't mean you should have to put up with Windows software for everything else you do, like email, web, calendar, address book, photos, music, documents and spreadsheets, etc. Use your Mac for everything you can, and use Windows only as much as you absolutely have to.

You have at least two good choices: Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. Both work pretty well and have roughly the same features. For me VMWare has worked a little better and the little problems I've had to figure out haven't been as confusing on VMWare as they used to be on Parallels, but I've heard other people say the opposite.

If you want to try VMWare, I think this link will get you a discount. I'm not being paid for this blog post, but if enough people buy VMWare through this link, I get a $10 gift certificate to Amazon or something like that. But that's not why I'm posting it--I'm posting this because I think people with Macs get more done.

My tech support policy for family and friends? Mac: free, unlimited. Windows: you're on your own; next time get a Mac. So far my family and friends who have listened to me have sooner or later been glad they switched.

No comments:

Post a Comment